I bake bread for my family every week. Home baking is not that hard, not that time consuming, and certainly cheap! You don't need a bread machine or a lot of fancy equipment. This blog features a tutorial on home bread baking, tips on equipment and ingredients, and recipes for real home cooking.


Rhubarb Crumb Cake


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




It looks like a Martian fungus, but it's really just the rhubarb poking up in the garden. When it looks like this here in the north, I know that other people are already making rhubarb pies in Kansas and Indiana.

Rhubarb is the kids' pocket money crop. They recommend Grama Alice's Rhubarb Crumb Cake recipe:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp soda
  • i tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 tsp cloves
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup milk
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped rhubarb

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Sift together dry ingredients
  3. Add shortening, eggs and milk
  4. Add rhubarb and mix slightly
  5. Pour into a buttered 9 x 13 inch pan
  6. Sprinkle topping over batter, pat it down with hand.
  7. Bake 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
Topping:
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 Tbsp butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts
Mix flour, sugar, and cinnamon. Cut in butter, add nuts.


0 Responses to “Rhubarb Crumb Cake”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Click here to start bread baking tutorial

About me

  • I'm Susan Och
  • From Lake Leelanau, Michigan

Previous posts

Archives


ATOM 0.3

Looking for more?


There's more to food than just nutrition, otherwise we would all be eating custom-formulated kibble. I didn't exactly learn to bake from my grandmother, but my ancestors, even the ones I never met, have informed and influenced my lifelong exploration of cooking and food. Want to read more? Check out this entry from my home blog, French Road Connections


Google