This is fast to make. Grind up the pesto while the water for the pasta is coming to a boil.
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil
- 2 Tablespoons pine nuts or shelled walnuts
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pound Fettucine or Spaghetti
- Start heating the pasta water
- Place the basil, nuts, garlic, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor, or chop these ingredients by hand with a sharp knife. If you are using a machine, pour in the olive oil and process until you have a smooth paste. If you are using a knife, chop as finely as possible, then transfer to a bowl and blend in the olive oil. (If you want to freeze pesto, stop here and put your pesto into small jars, coat the top with a little more oil, and then put it in the freezer.)
- Transfer to a bowl and blend in the cheese.
- When the water comes to a boil, salt it and then add the pasta. Heat a serving dish. When the pasta is cooked, transfer it to the serving dish. Blend a few tablespoons of the pasta cooking water into the basil mixture, and then toss the pasta with the basil pesto.
We also use pesto as a sauce on "Green Pizza".