Grandma Bunny's Cucumber Salad
Published Thursday, July 24, 2008 by Susan Och | E-mail this post
Cucumbers ready for dressing
I made a big batch of this today, for my brother Chris's wedding.
- 4 fresh cucumbers, peeled or scored with a fork. then sliced thin.
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream, plain yogurt, or a mix of the two
- fresh ground pepper
- As you slice the cucumbers, lay them in a glass bowl and salt each layer. (Don't worry, you'll rinse the salt off later.)
- Once the cucumbers are sliced and salted, lay a clean plate on top of them with a weight on top of the plate. Let sit for an hour or so.
- Drain brine from the cucumbers and rinse in a colander.
- Thin sour cream with a little milk, whip until smooth, and then use sour cream to dress the salad.
- Grind fresh pepper over the top, chill and serve.
Richard's dad makes the same salad, but dresses it with cider vinegar and sugar and calls it "fresh pickles".