Macaroni and Cheese
Published Sunday, September 21, 2008 by Susan Och | E-mail this post
This is the home made kind that we eat on special occasions.
- 2 T finely chopped onion
- 2 T butter
- 2 T flour
- 2 cups milk
- a bay leaf
- 1/2 t salt (or to taste)
- 1 lb pasta
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- bread crumbs
- In a heavy fry pan, melt butter and saute onion until golden.
- Add flour and stir to coat flour with fat.
- Remove pan from heat. Scald milk in microwave. (If you add cold milk to a hot pan you will have lumpy sauce.)
- Slowly add hot milk to flour and butter in fry pan, stirring to avoid lumps. Salt to taste, and season with pepper and a bay leaf. Cook on low heat, stirring often to avoid sticking, for 20 minutes or until thickened.
- Cook pasta al dente, then drain.
- Layer a greased baking dish with pasta, shredded cheese, and a ladle of sauce. Repeat layers. ending with sauce. You can add a little more milk if it seems dry. Top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees until it is browned and bubbling.